Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Boxed cake mix - you’ve met your match.

How sad is it that I've struggled with something that so many consider to be easy? I really do hope that those who have had trouble with baking find some comfort in sharing my struggles. I threw my heart and soul into this project and HOORAY I got results!

As with all things in order to be successful you also have to work hard, but I never thought that baking would involve so much research. Over the last week I’ve spent hours looking for different ways I can improve my baking skills. It turns out that making slight changes here and there in the baking process can make a major difference in the outcome. When I first bit into my first carrot cupcake success I nearly cried, it was so moist, soft, and not burnt in the least. I took a big plate of them to each of my neighbors because I was so proud of what I’d done. Several of my female neighbors seemed almost angry with me once they tasted them and some became more obviously angry as I told them I’d be making A LOT more cupcakes for them.


Jealous of my cupcaking skills? Well her are some of the things that helped me bake a successful batch of cupcakes;

* Make sure all ingredients are room temperature - eggs should sit out for 20 minutes prior to mixing and water/milk should be room temperature when used.
* Only cook one pan at a time - the mix will keep while you are waiting for the first batch to cook.
* Remove the cupcakes from the pan as soon as they are taken out of the oven that way they don’t continue cooking.
* Check on them before they are supposed to be done and set the timer for a few minutes before the recommended amount of time.
* Only fill the cupcake cups 1/2 to 2/3 full to ensure that they cook evenly.

Now that I’ve mastered the art of the pre-made box cupcakes I’m going to give my own recipe a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment